Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bertuzzi: Let him back in or no?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you think Todd Bertuzzi should be allowed back into the NHL?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [88.24%]
2 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
The American View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
MMM-HMMM!! I LIKE TH’ WAY YOU TALK!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bertuzzi: Let him back in or no?
    Posted: 06 August 2004 at 7:15am

I'm sure by now most of you all know what happened, but incase you don't here it is in a shortened version.

In an effort to get back at Colorado's Steve Moore, Bertuzzi hit him in the back of the head pushing him to the ice and punch him repeatedly.  All this caused if I remember correctly, bad cuts, a concussion, and something in his neck or spine(can't remember) was broken, something that they wernt sure if he would play again.

So thats what happened, and now the NHL has to decide whether or not to let him back in.  So what do you think

KillerCanuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 7:28am
Just to point out, I dont think the punch from Bertuzzi was what broke Steve Moore's neck. I think it was the takedown followed by half of each team jumping on him and Bertuzzi's back.

Now, should Bertuzzi be allowed to play again. I say yes. Hockey is a sport that allows fighting. If you are going to get rid of Bertuzzi because he was taking on the enforcer role, then you have to get rid of that role from the game completely. Say bye bye to Domi, Warrel, Oliwa, Brasher, etc.

I'll go Home, I'll go Home,
Full of the devil and full of the rum.
I'll go home, oh I'll go home,
I'll go home in the morning.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 7:33am

Well either way, the hit on Nasland or whoever by Moore couldn't have been that big of a deal (I know he was out for a few games) but I hadn't heard anything about it till Bertuzzi retaliated, so I think he crossed the line, a fight would have been resonable but you don't attack a guy from behind.

Also if Bertuzzi wouldn't have attacked him at all, whether it was Bertuzzi breaking his neck or everyone jumping on him, it wouldn't have happened at all.

Thats my opinion, come on more voting!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 7:40am
^^The problem with what happened was that Steve Moore didn't want to fight Bertuzzi. If you watched the entire tape, you could see Bertuzzi following Moore around, tugging at his jersey and telling him to turn around and fight him. Moore didn't. Bertuzzi got frustrated, threw a punch, and the rest is history. Now, do I approve or condone what Bertuzzi did, no, but still, he didn't intend for Moore to get hurt the way he did. Bertuzzi was just doing his job.

And just another thought, your avatar doesn't exactly support what you're arguing for there American.

Edited by KillerCanuk

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 7:56am

I know he didn't want to fight, so if I was Bertuzzi I would keep instigating it until Moore did want to fight, not knock him down from behind because he got frustrated lol.

Also about my avater, there were several fights going on at one time, and Lemiux found himself unable to get in position to fight so I guess he was owned, also Mccarty wasn't banned for the rest of the season, and Mccarty didn't get a police report, unlike Bertuzzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 8:02am
^^You totally missed the point. What if McCarty had broken Lemiux's neck by punching him in the back of the head like that. It's essentially the same thing that Bertuzzi did. Just because there were other fights going on doesn't make it ok. There were fights all through that Vancouver game. The only reason why Bertuzzi's is bad is because someone actually got hurt. Hence, Bertuzzi being made an example of.

Random_Person View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Official Forum Haiku Honorable Mention

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random_Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 8:14am
no, he nearly killed that guy he should be ban

I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 8:18am
=  a picture is worth a thousand words

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 8:42am
Darren McCarty
Career: Games Played:643    PIM(Penilty Minutes):1275

Todd Bertuzzi
Career: Games Played:628    PIM:911

Who's a bigger hockey goon? McCarty's got more PIM, and honestly, has taken far more runs at people than Bertuzzi has. Heck, McCarty took out 2 Flames in last years playoffs. A vicious hit to Marc Savard's knee, and a disgusting eblow to the head Ronald Petrovicky. That was in the same game too.

So am I the only one that realizes that Bertuzzi is being punished cause his enforcing actually really hurt someone?

Edited by KillerCanuk

Bill Gates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Gates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 8:48am
i think ive heard of this.remember the donald brashear and marty mc sorely?
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 9:53am
I'm from Colorado, so this was on our front pages for weeks after it happened.

How many of you know that criminal charges have been filed against Bertuzzi? He may be in jail, let alone worrying about whether he can play hockey.

I'd say his punishment should be tied directly to Steve Moore's condition. If Steve Moore never plays hockey again, neither does Bertuzzi. When Moore comes back, so can Bertuzzi.

It was a complete cheap shot, not a fight.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Funky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Pants? I dont need no stinking pants.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:00am
Originally posted by KillerCanuk KillerCanuk wrote:

Just to point out, I dont think the punch from Bertuzzi was what broke Steve Moore's neck. I think it was the takedown followed by half of each team jumping on him and Bertuzzi's back.

Now, should Bertuzzi be allowed to play again. I say yes. Hockey is a sport that allows fighting. If you are going to get rid of Bertuzzi because he was taking on the enforcer role, then you have to get rid of that role from the game completely. Say bye bye to Domi, Warrel, Oliwa, Brasher, etc.

I completely agree.  If everything happened, except Moore didn't get hurt at all, NO ONE WOULD HAVE CARED.

It was just unfortunate that he ended up getting hurt.

Although to be honest, I'd love to see some of the enforcers play more hockey.  Domi was great in the playoffs, because he wasn't focused on destroying anyone in his way.

In any event, he should be allowed to play.

"Don't you hate pants?"
Pate View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Ladyboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:01am
^^^
Your totally right, it wasnt a fight, he wasnt being an "enforcer" by punching him in the back of the head. It was a total cheap shot. Bertuzzi should be allowed to play if Moore is able to play again.

And kind of a side note, I dont remember half the team jumping on Bertuzzis back when he took down Moore, I only remember like 2 people jumping on Bertuzzin and pulling him off.

It feels good to be a gangster
Pate View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Ladyboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:02am
Originally posted by The American The American wrote:

In an effort to get back at Colorado's Steve Moore, Bertuzzi hit him in the back of the head pushing him to the ice and punch him repeatedly.  All this caused if I remember correctly, bad cuts, a concussion, and something in his neck or spine(can't remember) was broken, something that they wernt sure if he would play again.

He also needed surgery on his face to repair alot of the rips and tears from when he was slidding on the ice.

It feels good to be a gangster
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Funky Funky wrote:

Just to point out, I dont think the punch from
Bertuzzi was what broke Steve Moore's neck. I think it was the takedown
followed by half of each team jumping on him and Bertuzzi's back.
Now, should Bertuzzi be allowed to play again. I say yes. Hockey is
a sport that allows fighting. If you are going to get rid of Bertuzzi
because he was taking on the enforcer role, then you have to get rid of
that role from the game completely. Say bye bye to Domi, Warrel, Oliwa,
Brasher, etc.

I completely agree.  If everything happened, except Moore didn't get hurt at all, NO ONE WOULD HAVE CARED.

Although to be honest, I'd love to see some of the enforcers play more
hockey.  Domi was great in the playoffs, because he wasn't focused
on destroying anyone in his way.

Perhaps... But the results are a big part of the punishment. Drunk drivers don't MEAN to kill people, but they're still guilty of Vehicular Homicide when they do.

When you take cheap shots and risk hurting other people like this, you're accepting responsibility for the result.
Real Men Love Cheeses
MSG.Mobius View Drop Down
Strike 1, "S-Bomb" & More (F18)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:14am

To attract more fans the NHL has combined Hockey and Boxing into one sport.

I think that Moore should decide.

Coming in May 2005!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:22am
Originally posted by SandMan SandMan wrote:

Originally posted by Funky Funky wrote:

Just to point out, I dont think the punch from
Bertuzzi was what broke Steve Moore's neck. I think it was the takedown
followed by half of each team jumping on him and Bertuzzi's back.
Now, should Bertuzzi be allowed to play again. I say yes. Hockey is
a sport that allows fighting. If you are going to get rid of Bertuzzi
because he was taking on the enforcer role, then you have to get rid of
that role from the game completely. Say bye bye to Domi, Warrel, Oliwa,
Brasher, etc.

Although to be honest, I'd love to see some of the enforcers play more
hockey.  Domi was great in the playoffs, because he wasn't focused
on destroying anyone in his way.

Perhaps... But the results are a big part of the punishment. Drunk drivers don't MEAN to kill people, but they're still guilty of Vehicular Homicide when they do.

When you take cheap shots and risk hurting other people like this, you're accepting responsibility for the result.

I do agree with that, but what about everyone else in the leauge who do the same thing, but get away scotch free. Even if a drunk driver doesn't kill anyone, they still get punished. Why shouldn't it be the same with hockey.

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:32am
And this injury may very well bring about such changes...
Real Men Love Cheeses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 10:36am
^^Like I said a little further up. He's going to be made an example of.

iloveA-5 #2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iloveA-5 #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 11:23am
he made a mistake, he should get a second chance, he did the right thing in the wrong way. emotions were flowing and he was trying to get his team fired up by fighting moore and when moore did not fight he got pissed off. they were getting killed. if he does play again hopefully he has learned to control himself better. and hopefully this will teach some other players to control themselves  
Pittsburgh Amateur Penguins
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic