9 [52.94%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 9:43am
If you're serious about looking to get it published, then what you're working on is a manuscript.

You want something that can easily be read, marked, and edited, so choice of font is every bit as important as size. I personally suggest 12 point Arial, double spaced to allow for line notes.

12 point is easily read, even by those without perfect vision, and is commonly used as a business-standard font size.
Real Men Love Cheeses
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 9:48am
You'll also want to do a good bit of looking into Query Letters and Literary Agents.

-----

I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of Stephen King's "On Writing" and read it cover to cover. He talks about writing style, some "real world" guidelines, and writing habits. He also helps you determine whether you should seriously be pursuing writing at all.

-----

This isn't intended to be an advertisement, more of a resource link, but the Online Writing Workshops are a great place to read the works of others and submit your own for review by other authors.

http://www.onlinewritingworkshop.com

I'm a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy workshop myself.

Edited by SandMan
Real Men Love Cheeses
spydero99 View Drop Down
Guested: Spamming, immaturity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spydero99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 9:52am
Originally posted by JoeG254-PB JoeG254-PB wrote:

Well I'm writing a spy novel. 

i suppose maybe an uploaded free version on the forum?

erm, eh, well, ok, your right, i am sorry Enos, i dont know what i ever did, but you have jurasdiction over the forum, so, i am sorry for all i have done to offen you Enos

JoeG254-PB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeG254-PB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 11:12am

Thanks Sandman I'll check that out and I just changed it to your specs.

Oh yeah and spydero I will probably put the story in here if it gets published and If I can get your adresses I might send signed hardcover copies

Edited by JoeG254-PB
Bauerp0weR 18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bauerp0weR 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by JoeG254-PB JoeG254-PB wrote:

If I can get your adresses I might send signed hardcover copies

Whoa now, that just boosted the coverprice a whole $0.73, haha just playing with ya.  Try to make your story have a twist, then you'll get the "Bauerp0weR Seal of Approval" if you fool me .

Add some things to make it seem misleading, that's when you have a great book, when you have to use your mind and keep guessing til the end.

edit: like SandMan said, using 12 font and doublespacing it would be a great idea.

Edited by Bauerp0weR 18
Black Smart Parts Ion
Halo B
Check-It Unimount
macroline
68/45 Pure Energy tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeG254-PB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 12:59pm
my first book probably won't have a twist but the second one will
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 1:45pm
I'm actually quite a good reviewer if you'd like me to look over what you've done so far and give you some tips. Let me know.
Real Men Love Cheeses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeG254-PB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 1:46pm
Ok thanks I might just do that
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:20pm

.2 font size

anyway, why no sex? everybody loves sex in spy books? And it MUST have a twist, otherwise it will be boring.

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:27pm
Depending on how you define "twist". Most books don't technically have a plot twist. If they did, the entire practice would become mundane.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:31pm

well, Seeing as there are so many spy/espionage novels out, that this book, would need quite a good turnabout in the plot to set it apart.

I'm not completely talking out my [naughty] here, I do write quite a bit...

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:37pm
Yeah, well, the Fantasy market it pretty saturated as well, but people still manage to crank out original plots and characters.

A true plot twist, where the story abruptly changes direction based on a surprise revelation, should be an uncommon occurrence. If ever it becomes common, it loses its potency.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:42pm

Very true. Although i have to say, in fantasy, there is a huge amount of near cloning books.

It is sad how well poorly written books sell (causing the saturation in fantasy).

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:55pm
Oh, you mean the entire Wheel of Time series???
Real Men Love Cheeses
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 3:59pm

Originally posted by SandMan SandMan wrote:

Oh, you mean the entire Wheel of Time series???

/me has never even seen those

anyway, i mean throughout the whole Fantasy genre, people will just steal some from here, some from there...

SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 4:03pm
Yeah, Robert Jordan is the most successful hack in the history of fantasy novelists...
Real Men Love Cheeses
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic