Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: gun control
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [26.92%]
19 [73.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JoeG254-PB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeG254-PB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 7:29pm

Originally posted by tippy98aac tippy98aac wrote:

Originally posted by Ejp414 Ejp414 wrote:

Originally posted by tippy98aac tippy98aac wrote:

i found a fact that said "every other day a whole
classroom of kids die from handguns." I had to a speech on gun control
last year.

Yet guns aren't the leading cause of death. Perhaps we should have "cigarette control" instead...

I would be all for "ciggarette control" as well. My Grandpa died from Lung Cancer. I just find it hard, especially living near a city like Detroit where some many innocent lives are taken because of material possessions by firearms and other weapons. I know that the United has one of the highest death tolls compared to other countries with stricter firearm laws. Thats just how i feel though, i've never been much a hunter. Feel to much compassion for the animal.

Amazon.com: Books: More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws

read that. now look alot of countries in Europe have gun laws where you cant legally own a gun and gun crime has gone up.

tippy98aac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy98aac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 7:37pm
hmmm i might have to read that.!. but anyways i base my opinions on stuff like this " In 1996, for instance, 30 people were killed with handguns in Great Britain, 106 in Canada and 211 in Germany. In the U.S., 9,390 died this way. In Japan,15."
http://www.jointogether.org/gv/issues/problem/global/

theres a link to an article i was reading. A little old though.
Tippy 98 c
JoeG254-PB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeG254-PB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 7:59pm
most of the gun crime is where guns are illegally purchased which would still happen if there were stricter gun laws
tippy98aac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy98aac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by JoeG254-PB JoeG254-PB wrote:

most of the gun crime is where guns are illegally purchased which would still happen if there were stricter gun laws

are you sure? i'd have to see some data. I need to do some more researching before this turns into a debate
Tippy 98 c
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 8:21pm
My crime prevention class is coming back to me, and I even have the text book to cite, but tippy98aac is right when comparing figures of countries with little gun crime compared to those with loose laws and higher gun crime.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 8:41pm

Here ya go - enough gun statistics to support every argument about the US made so far (and then some):

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2004 at 8:49pm
The NCVS is still an untrustworthy formation of statistics. The UCR seems to be a little better; however, that still does not cover everything. Those statistics could be quite flawed.
Slothbutt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can’t find the short bus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 12:57am
According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was 80% from family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source

very intrestring fact, shows gun laws have no real effect on criminals only the people trying to defend themselves or having fun at the range.

Solipsism View Drop Down
300 million WHAT?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solipsism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 1:06am
^^^^ I've seen that bumper sticker before, man its great.
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Gun control in small moderation, to prevent at least certified crazy people and criminals from commercially buying weapons.

But extreme gun control is retarded. Those people must be the dumbest
people on earth. If guns are ever totally banned, the only people left
with guns are criminals!

Stole the words out of my mouth...err my fingertips.

In my mind, gun control is keeping the gun steady and being able to manage the recoil so you don't hit innocent bystanders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic