3 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prison Abuse Trial
    Posted: 03 August 2004 at 10:05am

Well she is going to court. What do you guys think? Personally I dont know, The more I read about it, the more I think she was acting on order rather than just being a bonehead with a camera.

Military Hearing Held for Accused Soldier
England Became Public Face of Iraq Prison Abuse Scandal
By Jim Loney, Reuters

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (Aug. 3) -- A U.S. military court began a hearing Tuesday to decide whether a female soldier who held an Iraqi prisoner on a leash should stand trial in an abuse scandal that outraged the Arab world and embarrassed the Bush administration as it sought to to stabilize Iraq.

The twice-delayed hearing for Pfc. Lynndie England, whose lawyers have called her the ''poster child'' for flawed U.S. war policies in Iraq, faces charges ranging from prisoner abuse to committing indecent acts.

The visibly pregnant 21-year-old military police officer was charged along with six other U.S. soldiers in a scandal that prompted an apology from U.S. President Bush, who placed the blame on a small group of soldiers.

England became the public face of inmate abuse at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad with the worldwide distribution of photographs last spring featuring her in a range of poses with Iraqi prisoners, including one in which she held a naked inmate on a leash.

England, wearing a camouflage uniform, black boots and beret, walked past dozens of media cameras and reporters into the red-brick judge advocate's building minutes before the hearing was to start.

Flanked by her lawyers, she looked straight ahead and said nothing, heading straight up to the third-floor, wood-trimmed courtroom where Investigating Officer Col. Denise Arn was to hear testimony.

England has said she was just following orders when she appeared in the infamous pictures. In some, she appeared to be smiling as she pointed pointed at prisoners' genitals.

Lawyers for some of the accused have said intelligence officers told them to soften up the prisoners for questioning. The Pentagon has denied sanctioning rough treatment to make inmates talk.

The hearing at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, where England was stationed after her return from Iraq, is called an Article 32 investigation.

Evidence will be presented and a military hearing officer will decide whether the case should go to trial. It has been delayed since June as the military filed new charges and England's defenders made changes to their legal team.

She is charged with conspiracy to mistreat Iraqi prisoners, assaulting prisoners, committing acts prejudicial to good order, committing indecent acts, disobeying an order and creating and possessing sexually explicit photographs. Some of the charges were not related to prisoner abuse.

Maximum penalties include a dishonorable discharge and up to 38 years in prison if convicted.

England's lawyers said they tried but failed to win permission to call Vice President **edited** Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to the witness stand.

England, a member of the 372nd Military Police Company, returned to the United States from Iraq after becoming pregnant. U.S. media reports have said the father of her child is Spc. Charles Graner, one of the other soldiers charged in the abuse scandal.

08/03/04 03:30 EDT

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

chettacheez View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

I do enjoy a stinky cheese

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chettacheez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 10:26am
The media is the real enemy...
-The Unknown- View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -The Unknown- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 10:28am
She should get both a discharge,and up to 38 years in prison
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 10:31am
IMHO, I think she did to try and look "cool" after seeing the tapes and everything.

But then again the media can distort an image so much to make you believe something different easily.     Either way, she did it.  So I think she should get a dishonarable discharge and no prison time.

newport View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested. inapproproate links take 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 10:32am
Originally posted by chettacheez chettacheez wrote:

Definitely agreed.

WUNgUN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
100% Bonafied Jar Head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUNgUN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 11:03am
Originally posted by tippy_182 tippy_182 wrote:

Either way,
she did it.  So I think she should get a dishonarable discharge...

Think further into it. Why did she do it? She is a PFC or one of the lowest ranks in the Army. Did she and her fellow soldiers think it was funny? Was it a way to blow off some steam and pressure associated with being off to war? Or was it a method used to demoralize prisoners to break them down for further interrogation? All of the staged pictures and videotapes seem kind of "fishy" to me! When I was in the Marine Corps and someone did something we thought was a little "risky", they might take one picture and guard it very carefully. Not have a huge slideshow of them available, unless it was documented for a reason other than stupidity or "private don't know any better".
[IMG]http://hometown.aol.com/hlwrangler/myhomepage/revised5_copy.jpg">
""...the Marines we have there now could crush the city and be done with business in four days."--LtGen Conway on Fallujah
DracoPlasm View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What is a DracoPlasm anyway?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DracoPlasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 12:06pm
I think charges dropped i would put a leash and one of the muzzles you put over dogs mouths on the prisoner

JoeG254-PB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeG254-PB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 12:16pm
I think she should get arrested not just for that but for making our military look bad too
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by newport newport wrote:

Originally posted by chettacheez chettacheez wrote:

Definitely agreed.

Way to scapegoat. The media shouldn't cover up things like this, then it becomes a facist government. She should be discharged and get prison time, but investigations should continue to see if the orders did come from the top down.

TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 1:18pm

For those of you who don't know, worse things happen in our own prisons on a frequent basis. That doesn't make it right, but it is an example of selective reporting in our media.

How do you think our prisoners were treated by Iraq in the first Gulf War? Read the stories and see. And Abu Gharaib has seen much worse things happen inside it's walls while Saddam was in power.

For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2004 at 3:04pm
She's hot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic