Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ATI or Nvidia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Graphics card do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [64.52%]
10 [32.26%]
1 [3.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATI or Nvidia
    Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:43pm
If other, please state which.
NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:49pm
ati
MSG.Mobius View Drop Down
Strike 1, "S-Bomb" & More (F18)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:50pm
9800 Pro with a titanium sleeve.

Coming in May 2005!
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:52pm

Both boards have their ups and downs. I believe the NVidia board is faster, but it is dual slot and sucks the juice. I would get the ATI board.

Edited by hybrid-sniper
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:54pm
Yea thats why im an ATI fan, the Nvidia card takes up 2 slots and is an extra 100 dollars.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:54pm

Originally posted by hybrid-sniper hybrid-sniper wrote:

The new NVidia 6800 whoops the X800 XT Platinum in almost all the benchmarks, but it requires TWO 12v leads from a high quality Power Supply, such as a PC Power and Cooling model. So, add at least 100 bucks to the 499$ the card costs, and the ATI board is a winner.

Go play Playstation

Unless you get your info at nVidia.com I wouldn't be suprised. Because the benchmarks are actually too close to call. Neither card is faster. But the X800 doesn't need a mega power supply to make sure it runs, and is quiter, but I think they fixed that.

Coming in May 2005!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:56pm

But I don't like Play Station!

I got the Benchmarks from PC Gamer. The NVidia board beat the ATI board pretty soundly in most of the Benchmarks. I still like the ATI board better, though.

Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:02pm
The Nvidia only has 1 more feature than the X800xt, and its some sort of shader. But theres only 1 game right now that cam take advanatge of it, Far cry. So i honestly dont see the point of 2 pci slots, extra power supply, and an extra 100 bucks. Now the 6800 gt might be worth it though..
VisionIMP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VisionIMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:02pm
I prefer GeForce. Good cards for a lot less money than a lot of ATI's. I got a GeForce 5700 LE 256 mb card for 120! That'll keep me in the game for a long time now!
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:03pm
O yea do you guys think i should blow the money on a X800, or should i just get a 9800 xt for now. Also will the 9800 xt run half life 2 smoothly? Thanks

Edited by Sammy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:03pm

I got the Benchmarks from PC Gamer. The NVidia board beat the ATI board pretty soundly in most of the Benchmarks. I still like the ATI board better, though.

But everyone loves Playstation!

PC Gamers benchmarks are really close and if you take time to read, it says "ATI wins this one by a 12 volt..."

And it recieves a 93% and nVidia 90%.

I always prefer ATI it's always single-slot cards over nVidia, it's a preference because both are always close by.

Coming in May 2005!
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:03pm
Just get both Sammy, it's not like your actually paying for them.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

O yea do you guys think i should blow the money on a X800, or should i just get a 9800 xt for now. Also will the 9800 xt run half life 2? Thanks

Half Life 2's Release Date is TBA (At least according to Game Spot), so I'd wait on buying a board. Heck, it may not come out for another year and a half, and any board available today would likely be obsolete. I would wait.

Edited by hybrid-sniper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by MSG.Mobius MSG.Mobius wrote:

But everyone loves Playstation!

PC Gamers benchmarks are really close and if you take time to read, it says "ATI wins this one by a 12 volt..."

And it recieves a 93% and nVidia 90%.

I always prefer ATI it's always single-slot cards over nVidia, it's a preference because both are always close by.

Yup, single slot and low power requirements always are best. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in certain things. Sorry!

Edited by hybrid-sniper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:09pm

The Nvidia only has 1 more feature than the X800xt, and its some sort of shader. But theres only 1 game right now that cam take advanatge of it, Far cry. So i honestly dont see the point of 2 pci slots, extra power supply, and an extra 100 bucks. Now the 6800 gt might be worth it though..

That's not true, nVidias features can't be realised until DirectX 9.0c or sometihng like that. ATI has a different system of shaders, which surpesses Geforece's. Once again it's all preference because the human eye can not recieve that many FPS, so a 5 or 10 Frame diffrence will not make an impact.

Coming in May 2005!
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:13pm
Ignore*

Edited by Sammy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:14pm

O yea do you guys think i should blow the money on a X800, or should i just get a 9800 xt for now. Also will the 9800 xt run half life 2? Thanks

Half Life 2's Release Date is TBA, so I'd wait on buying a board. Heck, it may not come out for another year and a half, and any board available today would likely be obsolete. I would wait.

Sorry to break your heart but the realese date is Sept. 30, 2004. Kinda funny, that was last year's release date. Straight out of Valve, but you can't trust them, you can trsut ID cause thats the only date they have given us.

I think HL-2 will be relasesed October the latest, but will be gold, Spetember.

9800 Pro and XT are the same thing, exept for clock speeds which make no difference in games like Doom 3 and others to come. Because those games use parts of your card that no other games do, you cant not overclock those parts.

I say get the X800 right before Half Lifes realses, by then it should be cheaper and might still bundle HF2.

Coming in May 2005!
Dark98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Doesn’t Want Sex With The Drunk Chick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:15pm
ATI all the way. Just got my X800pro in.

Edited by Dark98
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by MSG.Mobius MSG.Mobius wrote:

Half Life 2's Release Date is TBA, so I'd wait on buying a board. Heck, it may not come out for another year and a half, and any board available today would likely be obsolete. I would wait.

Sorry to break your heart but the realese date is Sept. 30, 2004. Kinda funny, that was last year's release date. Straight out of Valve, but you can't trust them, you can trsut ID cause thats the only date they have given us.

I think HL-2 will be relasesed October the latest, but will be gold, Spetember.

9800 Pro and XT are the same thing, exept for clock speeds which make no difference in games like Doom 3 and others to come. Because those games use parts of your card that no other games do, you cant not overclock those parts.

I say get the X800 right before Half Lifes realses, by then it should be cheaper and might still bundle HF2.

Okay thanks. Becuase right now im running a 64 bit nvidia geoforce 4 and it barely runs far cry and i highly doubt itll run half life 2.
PaintballWizard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Flatstang is my HERO!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 2:34pm
6800gt > x800 pro

16 pipelines vs 12

9800xt 8 pipelines.

If you want a card better then the 9800xt for less the 6800 is the way to go and you get far cry for free and it is almost par with the x800.

Paintball Videos.
www.smacktalkpaintball.com
webdogradio.us
www.forceofnature.com
and www.google.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic