Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dry-Firing Myth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry-Firing Myth
    Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:00pm
Is it true that dry-firing is not good for your gun? when i bought my gun the guy said dry-firing could ruin it. i dont see any way it could hurt it. but could it?
NMLvaio View Drop Down
Guested - Spamming w/ new name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMLvaio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:05pm
I don't know what is dry firing, is it shooting a gun without paintballs, If soo don't do it , if it says not

bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:10pm
just as shooting with a paintball, but theres no paintball. iof people do it after they oil it must be fine.
NMLvaio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMLvaio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:14pm
I hope I don't worn my gun. I need to oil my gun too.

triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:26pm
i cant see any technical way it could hurt it. its not like a gun where you could break the firing pin. i take mine apart and oil it after every day of playing and dry-fire it to spread around the oil. a tippmann is like an ak-47. it can be rusted inside and keep on going.
candyisgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candyisgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:29pm

i dry fire my gun all the time and i have never had a problem with my gun

NMLvaio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMLvaio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by candyisgood candyisgood wrote:

i dry fire my gun all the time and i have never had a problem with my gun

same here

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:38pm
Dry-firing really doesn't affect a paintball gun. This holds true especially after it has recently been oiled, so long as you dont have the barrel on. However dry-firing does affect a real gun and could ruin it. So make sure when you do dry fire your paintball gun, not to fire it too much. Any more than 30-40 shots isn't a good thing.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:38pm

Tell that guy it isnt a real gun. Dry firing is bad for a real gun not a paintball marker.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
paintball duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintball duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:40pm
it doesnt do anything. its the same thing but with no paintball.
RaVeN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  RaVeN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 1:45pm
when i do maintenance on my paintball gun i dry fire it like 200-300 times while oiling it...iv been doing it for years now and i havent busted a single seal or anything...so it really dont bother a paintball gun at all

ions are like mustangs...alot of people have them but not many know how to use them...
PaintbalSoldier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintbalSoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 4:01pm
yes, it actually does ruin your gun. be sure to oil it and clean it after every match too. keep it nice and clean
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 4:29pm
I think it can ruin O-rings.  Because you causing wear to the O-rings, causing them to break or tear and you can have leaks.  But O-rings hold up for a long time and even if you do tear one you have only lost a $0.06

chrisishott3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisishott3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 4:34pm
it wont hurt your gun. I have timed my r/t so much and firing without balls to see how fast i can shoot. And i have seen many paintball videos with pro's doing it to show u how capable the gun is on very high end markers. I don't think they would do anything to ruin there guns.
Live Strong
Wear Yellow
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 5:01pm
Do not listen to these people. dry firing will not do anything to your gun. Ever. You can unload 2 million tanks without paint and nothing will happen to your gun.

Dry fire all you want, nothing will happen.
///AMG What?
warmonger83 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmonger83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 5:02pm
the only thing dryfiring does to an oiled marker... is cause what little wear shooting paintballs causes.. it bont cause a critical failure of your gun
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!
MSG.Mobius View Drop Down
Strike 1, "S-Bomb" & More (F18)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSG.Mobius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 5:07pm
It's just like shooting it normally, both wear it out. Do it to show off and test, dont "practise" on it or anytihng, dont over do it.

Coming in May 2005!
S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by tippy_182 tippy_182 wrote:

I think it can ruin O-rings. Because you causing wear to the
O-rings, causing them to break or tear and you can have leaks.
But O-rings hold up for a long time and even if you do tear one you
have only lost a $0.06

Right, but think about what you are saying.

It will wear out your o-rings no more than they would be worn out during normal firing.

Its just like people asking if the R/T wears out the internals faster. Yes it does because you are shooting it more. But 20000 rounds with the R/T is the same as 20000 rounds without.
Blue Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 5:53pm
Hmm I was always told that dry firing was when you shoot your gun without gas.
Notice:
The views exspressed in this post do not represent that of the Tippmann Company or the Paintball community but solely the individual who type it.
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2004 at 6:12pm
Dry firing your marker causes just the same amount of wear , as would shooting it normally , it is NOT recommended for ANY , repeat ANY !! Smokeless powder firearm !! ,or even Blackpowder (Muzzleloaders ) weapons . Yes that is good advice for a real centerfire,or rimfire weapon , but as far as markers , its a part of life , you need to when you lube your internals (gas valve ) , and I would Highly recommend not having your barrel on ,it will coat your bore with oil and you will want to clean your barrel again to remove the oil . Oh , By the Way , love the first part of your Sig , Carnivore all the way , LOL , why waste the binocular vision and omnivorous physiology !! Woot !!  "Where's the BEEF ?"
SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic