Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline Answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Shotbybothsides View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotbybothsides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 6:09pm

Erik is the only one with more than half a brain here.

I'm not from a rival company, i'm not selling anything, what is my modivaition for lying to about some gun part?

80% accuracy increase, the flatline is designed for range not accuracy, thus you will notice a slight to drastic diffrence in accuracy when switching from a conventional barrel to the flatline.

I am simply not impressed with the barrel. It is way to expensive for something that does something that is cancelled out by its inaccuracy, all the flatline does is alert your opposition to your position, they are in range but you cant mark them becuase of the inaccuracy and dreaded shotgun effect

like i said, the A5 flatline is kinda fun to play around with, you will still be a contender on the field but you will probably do better with the conventional barrel...but the 98 Custom's flatline is a total joke & complete ripoff.

"All you can hope for is the mercy of hell!"
MROD View Drop Down
Strike 2 vulgar material 2/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 6:31pm

ok Shot by both sides. The 98 custom flatline is not a rip off. Most of the good people will testify that the Flatline is the best barrel for woodsball as you can see by the other posts here, only one person agrees with you.

Edited by MROD
I need to find smaller pictures for my profile.
MROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 6:34pm

Originally posted by grumpy grumpy wrote:

I didn't read all the posts but a complaint I have read at other forums is this: The ball takes 4 seconds to shoot and is not good for fast action.

I would like a gun that can be used to snipe or for fast action so I don't have to carry two guns from field to field. I've considered the flatline for my custom 98 but would be highly pissed if I bought it, installed it, and it slowed my gun down.

Comments?

WHAT?!?! The ball comes out of the barrel in milliseconds! wow, whoever told you thant is really really stupid.

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Erik Erik wrote:

Tippmann fanboys, act civilized.

98sniper and Shotbybothsides are unhappy customers. They paid handsomely for hardware that was praised, but they failed them. To disregard their complaints is, really, pretty obnoxious.

I haven't used the Flatline yet, but I have experienced a few "defects" in my marker. I sent the gun in to Tippmann for a free repair, and the problem was gone.

This hardware is mass-produced, so you never know if what you are buying is a bad apple or not. My Playstation 2 was screwed up, so I sent it in and got it fixed. If you send in your products for adjustment or repair... maintenance and cleaning, even... you will be surprised by how well the product actually is.

You bought a ps2, it was screwed, you sent it out to get fixed and are suprised at how well the product is.  He bought the flatty, it didn't perform as advertised so rather than do what you and most other people do, send it back, he decides that its crap..end of story as he put it.  To repeat, I don't claim the flatty as the miracle barrell or anything close to it so I'm confused...?  I know like anyone thats used it that it has pros and cons, and the fact I responded to his post is the OPPOSITE of disregarding and quite far, I assure you from being obnoxious..you ever been to any other forums?  This one is awesome as far as balance goes.  Oh yes, the 'tippmann fanboys" comment - thanks!  or were you trying to be obnoxious? 

Edited by JohnnyCanuck
Blue Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 9:43pm
I've been sick of all this argueing Im reading trying to figure out whther to get a flatline or Big Shot. Who here has used the flatline the longest?
Notice:
The views exspressed in this post do not represent that of the Tippmann Company or the Paintball community but solely the individual who type it.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2004 at 10:54pm
Personally I wouldn't recommend the flatty for speedball, I really dont like how much bigger my 98's profile is with the shroud, for bushball, and especially big fields, I have no problem recommending the flatty.  One of the biggest drawbacks of the flatty is the price, so if your trying to s-t-r-e-t-c-h your $$, then go with the Bigshot, it's a great all around barrell.
shooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2004 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Blue Hopper Blue Hopper wrote:

I've been sick of all this argueing Im reading trying to figure out whther to get a flatline or Big Shot. Who here has used the flatline the longest?

I've had my A-5 flatline for about a year now and I like it lots. My dad has a 98c flatline, and also, he likes his very much.

However, other people I've played with have had problems with their 98c flatline (so far, 3 of them had complained about their barrel).

Since I didn't install their barrels or calibrate their markers, I couldn't tell them what was wrong.

It is entirely possible to get a screwed up barrel. You'll notice the problems if you get a lot of barrel breaks and really wild shots. If you experience these problems, check on a few things. Check your velocity (should be in the 265-280 FPS range), check to make sure your barrel is installed correctly (lined up and in all the way), clean your barrel (run it under some warm water and squeege it), and double check your paint (you want to use small bore paint like All-Stars or Marballizers).
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2004 at 6:24pm

I've had the flatline for just under a year on my A5 and I like it a lot. I used to use a bigshot which is an awesome barrel but the flatline has much more range. Accuracy is only a little better with the bigshot than it is with the flatline so I wasn't devastated when I made the switch. I was actually kind of surprised with the accuracy I got because I heard so much bad about it. Everybody had me thinking that I wouldn't be able to hit anything with it but the accuracy is fine. At normal ranges I can hit things about just as easily as I could with the bigshot. When we go beyond normal ranges I can land some shots that I wouldn't even bother attempting with a normal barrel. It's also good to keep the enemy pinned down at a safe distance.

At d-day this year I kept some germans from moving their frontline up on us simply by tossing paint at them. I doubt I could have hit them because at that range my accuracy was gone but I had enough range that they thought I could land a hit and that was enough to keep them pinned. One time I made a shot through a small opening in the brush that was probably only possible because of the flat trajectory of the flatline. I saw the enemy moving up on my group so I moved out to the flank where they couldn't see me. Then I found a clear firing lane through tons of bushes and trees so I took the shot and landed it without a problem. The guy never saw me and both shots I took landed on target right where I wanted them (shot an extra just in case). Without the flatline the ball probably would have dipped down a little and hit a branch.

When you play speedball, the flatline doesn't really offer much for you because range and flat trajectory aren't really important on a field that small with no trees. In that case you'd be better off getting slightly better accuracy for half the money by getting a bigshot. If you play both speedball and woodsball then I'd just use the flatline. The flatline will work just fine in speedball and if you play in the woods too then it wouldn't make sense to switch barrels all the time. The flatline is honestly not a bad barrel. I actually used to think it was garbage based on what I heard and I didn't like my friend's 98 flatline too much but when the A5 version came out I changed my mind. I saw them in action at d-day 2003 and I heard more good about them so I decided to try it out. I got it for christmas and now I use it all the time. I have had no problems with mine so far; no increase in breakage, no accuracy problems, nothing.

oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
killernoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killernoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2004 at 9:32pm
There are two way to measure "accuracy":

Precision: all the balls fall in one spot, but this spot may not be the one intended.

Accuracy: the balls tend to hit the spot you were aiming for but may not be more precisely grouped.

With the flatline, you will have better accuracy because whatever is in the sights is what will be hit.

With a regular barrel like the bigshot, you will have a tight grouping of shots, but because one must take into account the tragectory of the shots the accuracy may not be as good for the first or second shot. 

My brother has a bigshot, I have a flatline.  I notice I tend to get him out pretty easily at distance because he simply cant fire back.  Even if I cant get a tight grouping of shots like a bigshot may be able to accomplish, the odds are that I can eventually tag him without him ever having a chance.

And for those who are getting a shotgun effect, something is seriously wrong.  I have never broken paint unless I'm using crappy wally world stuff that has been sitting in the garage for months or my gun is shooting well over 300...
I make all my own mods.
shooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 9:27am
I was able to hold off 8 people with high end markers and 6+ pods each, with just my A-5 flatline and one full hopper. About 5 of them ran out of paint and the others had to keep passing out pods to the other players.

I only got one of them tagged, and the others just sat around waiting to see me get tagged.

The accuracy of the flatline would probably be comperable to the stock barrel. Nothing fantastic, but it'll get the job done. And, of course at greater distances the inaccuracy increases. The longer it stays in the air, the better chance it's going to get affected by the wind. You still have a better chance of it breaking on someone at 120+ feet than you would with a stock barrel at that distance.

grumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 2:00pm
I'm pretty much sold ont he flat line as my first hop up. I see they are selling for almost full price on ebay when used so if I decide it's not for me I won't take a $100 hit.
-Grumpy
PaINtToXiN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaINtToXiN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 3:32pm
I've played with my flatty since March, we play mostly every weekend, sometimes twice.  I have put just over 12 cases of paint through her, and I have broken 1 old brittle ball. It is cool to look through the front site and "frame" someone, because that is where the shot will go. If it is real far then fire 3, one will coast straight to the enemy.  Sometimes the shots will bounce at long range but atleast it still hurts them and makes them run away to mommy. I can keep two people off of me while I battle one who is close. Besides at 100 ft the flatty gives me the confidence to fire only one shot, and there is nothing more satisfying then nailing someone with just one shot.  Now it is a heavy barrel, and I wish it was part aluminum or something,  but atleast it is short being only 1.5 inches longer than the stock barrel.  The endcap gets hit alot in speedball so I am getting a 7.5 bigshot.  Next year I'll have Tippmann re-sandblast it for me for free, and she'll be ready for the new woodsball season.  All the bad rap is good in a way, it insures that my enemies will not be using one.
If my posts seem strange it is because dial-up gives me too much time to think.

A-5, Flatilizer.
98sniper View Drop Down

Stike 1: Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 2:06am

time out here.

first. they don't have accuracy. (killernoodle) no matter what you define accuracy as.

Second. why go threw all the troubles of the cleaning probs and accuracy being lacking, when you can get a ultralight or boomstick and have accuracy make up the stupid range.

Three. Range, r u guys to scared to get up and close. you have to sneek around and shoot people in the back. form 100 feet more away.

four. when a ball breaks you might as well play with out a barrel. it will be more accurate than the grose, slimey flatline.

Five. what do you clean the barrel with when it chops. (not sure) but since the barrel is bent can you even use a straight shot.

Six. yes, i know you need to match the paint to the barrel. but how often can you decided to play in a last minute game and find small bore paint. you might be able to but not every body can.

Seven. holding of 6 guys doesn't prove any thing. they just could have sucked. maybe they where chickens and stayed behind the bunker, instead of movin because the flatline might get them.lol. you can keep people down just shooting at the right times. it doesn't even have to be at them.

Eight. back to accuracy. why? they don't have it. they have range i will give them that. but does it matter when u can't hit any thing.

Nine. i would want some one to cover me, if i am making a move, with the flatline. you guys might like them but i don't trust the for any thing

just to let u all know i don't own a flatline. i just have heard a seen to many of them brake paint. yeah yeah paint and barrel. but like i said above, not every one can do that. i would take a boomstick over a flatline any day. Look and see what the pros use. BOOMSTICK.

i quess thats for cents now. i don't mean to p any body off i just don't like them and don't trust them.

98c
x chamber
revi 12vlt w/x

bko
halo tsa backman
shocktech drop

soon to get
e orracle
crossfire tank
boomstic
kaner kit
egg 2 w/z board
MROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 7:12am
Originally posted by 98sniper 98sniper wrote:

time out here.

first. they don't have accuracy. (killernoodle) no matter what you define accuracy as.

Second. why go threw all the troubles of the cleaning probs and accuracy being lacking, when you can get a ultralight or boomstick and have accuracy make up the stupid range.

Three. Range, r u guys to scared to get up and close. you have to sneek around and shoot people in the back. form 100 feet more away.

four. when a ball breaks you might as well play with out a barrel. it will be more accurate than the grose, slimey flatline.

Five. what do you clean the barrel with when it chops. (not sure) but since the barrel is bent can you even use a straight shot.

Six. yes, i know you need to match the paint to the barrel. but how often can you decided to play in a last minute game and find small bore paint. you might be able to but not every body can.

Seven. holding of 6 guys doesn't prove any thing. they just could have sucked. maybe they where chickens and stayed behind the bunker, instead of movin because the flatline might get them.lol. you can keep people down just shooting at the right times. it doesn't even have to be at them.

Eight. back to accuracy. why? they don't have it. they have range i will give them that. but does it matter when u can't hit any thing.

Nine. i would want some one to cover me, if i am making a move, with the flatline. you guys might like them but i don't trust the for any thing

just to let u all know i don't own a flatline. i just have heard a seen to many of them brake paint. yeah yeah paint and barrel. but like i said above, not every one can do that. i would take a boomstick over a flatline any day. Look and see what the pros use. BOOMSTICK.

i quess thats for cents now. i don't mean to p any body off i just don't like them and don't trust them.

okay, so your Flaltine hating opinion is based off other people's failures to either install it correctly or send it back because it is a bad one and get a new, good one. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Also, I don't see many pros with 98 customs or A-5's.

shooky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 10:03am

time out here.

How would you know? You just admitted not ever using one. Unless you've tried it, you really don't have the right to comment on it. At least the other negative reviews are from people that actually tried to use the barrel.

Every barrel requires cleaning. And the Flatline is plenty accurate at the same range as someone with a regular barrel. They start becoming more inaccurate the longer they are in the air, but they'll be in the air a lot longer than a regular barrel, no matter how much of an arch you put on your shots.

Actually, I play in the front. And I do sneak around people, I'm usually the one that pops up in the middle of the enemy's base, allowing me to tag people from further distances. I love the range on the Flatline, but I love the flat trajectory more.

See response to your first statement.

It comes with a flexible squeege, just like all of the other Tippmann products. For the A-5, you have to take off the barrel. For the 98c, you drop the feed neck and push the squeege through the chamber.

The barrel can be used with medium bore paint as well, it just performs better with small bore. And guess what! ALL barrel perform better with the right paint to barrel matches. IE your boomstick would perform better with the right paint to barrel match.

Actually, I was the one hiding behind the bunker, and they were the ones that had me surrounded. But because of my range, they had no idea I wasn't actually in the bunker in front of them, I was about 5 feet further back hiding on a hill. They moved up and surrounded where they thought I was. If I didn't have the flatline, they could have moved up a lot further without wasting as much paint. And guys with team jerseys, 6+ hoppers, and high end markers probably aren't as bad as you think.

See response to your first statement.

So, you don't like them, but you like them enough to cover you? If you didn't trust them, then why would you have them cover you?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 1:05pm

...first. they don't have accuracy. (killernoodle) no matter what you define accuracy as.

Not true. The flatline is almost as accurate as my bigshot and the bigshot has often been said to be just as accurate as the boomstick but for less money. Neither of those barrels offer flat trajectory or increased range though.

For the 98c you just have to drop the elbow and pull the squeegee through the breech, no big deal. For the A5 you're screwed unless you come up with a good way to get the cyclone off in the middle of the game which some people actually have. Somebody posted an idea to use a long screw, a wingnut, and a longer hose so that you could quickly pop the cyclone off the gun and squeegee through the breech. I did something similar with mine. I bought a thumb screw that replaces the one that holds the cyclone on. Now if I have a break, I just unscrew that and pop off the cyclone. It takes a few minutes but it's better than leaving the game to squeegee.

Lol, you couldn't be more wrong. You might as well tell me that my dad is in the mafia because I'm italian. Just because people own the flatline doesn't mean they restrict themselves to long range shots. Whether I have my flatline or not I tend to be up front right in the action or coming around the flank and causing chaos from behind. In that case, I'm usually severely outnumbered and outgunned so having the flatline allows me to stay out of their range while still taking them out and causing disorder so my teammates can move up. It's strategy, not cowardice.

Not true. After a break you lose accuracy but not enough that you can't hit a thing. I played through a break for a good 10 minutes before I had a chance to squeegee and I was fine. Any barrel loses accuracy after a break so you can't blame the flatline.

Pull-through squeegee after I pop off the cyclone.

That applies to all barrels pal. Small bore paint is probably more common on a tourny scene anyway since most tourny-grade paint is small bore. Any paint will work ok but best results are achieved with small bore. Medium isn't too bad either.

So then poor accuracy at long range wouldn't matter according to what you just said and that conflicts with your other point (number 8) that the flatline is useless at long range. You can easily keep people pinned at long ranges, I know because I've done it plenty of times before. It's very hard to hit them because of the distance but you can come close enough to make them stay put. You can get hits from very long range which is why people allow themselves to be pinned down by the flatline.

Again, this conflicts with point 7. And on top of that, the second part is wrong. You can hit things at long range and I've done it before. It takes more shots than a target within normal range but it can be done. Why do I say that? I've done it before.

If they can give good cover then why are they no good to use?

If you've seen a lot of them break paint then the paint is crap or the barrel is on wrong because mine doesn't cause any more breaks than my other barrels and that's with any paint I've used so far regardless of bore size. You can take a boomstick over the flatline if you want but doing it because the pros do is the dumbest reason I've heard, no offense. Professional teams are sponsored by companies and in return they want them to use their products. Even if the team doesn't really like their goods, they'll use them so they get sponsorship money. You can get just about the same accuracy from a bigshot for much less money. You can't always go by what the pros use. Buy what works and sometimes the most expensive thing isn't the best.

Until you own a flatline or have at least used one for a decent amount of time, you shouldn't be trying to tell people that it's bad.

Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
98sniper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 4:51pm

1st

(shooky)

i have shot many flatlines, for the a5 and the 98. i know alot of people that bought them and r not happy, they just don't want to admitt that the bought **edited**. so i know plenty about them to have a opinion.

(mod98commando)

like you said almost but isn't. the reason people buy the flatline is for the range, well why have range when its not accurate. yes i will not say that they don't shoot flatter. but some one said on here, don't remeber who, that they like it because it shoots flat for a long range in the brush. if its that brushy whats the chances you hit him if it is accurate, which its not. if its brushy move up get close you snipers. joking about the sniper thing. on can go on about the range and stuff all day.

2nd

(shooky)

like you said, the longer there in the air the less there accurate. why get it. u just want to shoot far and not hit nothin. there not even as accurate as another gn up close so just think what there like at long range. just put alittle under your shots with a nomarl barrel.

(mod98commando)

the 98 has quick threads for a reason, so u can take the barrel off with only three maybe four turns. take the breech off and wacth paint fall all over the places because you ion a hurry. then make sure you turn your revi off so the enemy doesn't here the noise so you don't blow your cover. NO, its not a pain to take the breech off compared to unthreading your barrel on squeeging it out.LOL and like you said its a pain with the a5. you have to take every thing off.

3rd

(shooky)

you pop up in the middle of them and shoot from a long range. you love the range, flatness but not the accuracy, just checking. like i said it shoots flat and far but doesn't matter. you can make up the distance with a boomstick. just aim a little high. they will fall prefect. i do it all the time.

mod98commando

what ever you want to call. but like you said you like to be on the front line, boomstick, why won't a boomstick be good. more accurate in every way. why get the flatline if your not taking long shots. i believe in flanking, but take some one with you and tear threw the back. don't just sit bak there and take some pop shots. then you would have help and wouldn't try to argue about being outnumbered so you have to sit back and take long inaccurate shots, as said by shooky, the longer its out there the less accurate.

4th

(shooky)

i have played with the flatline i just don't own one because i dislike them. its a waste of money.i have shoot alot of them.

(mod98commando)

yes i can blame it. alot of barrels will self clean. it just gets balled up in the barrel and doesn't put the right spin on the ball. when this happens you can shoot around trees. if your aiming to hit them

5th

(shooky)

look at what i said to mod98commando in the 2nd thing.

(mod98commando)

after it takes you minutes to get that off. when with a normal barrel you would just take it off rfast and clean it.

6th

(shooky)

i know this but why should a preson have to do this everytime they want to play. not evry one can go out and get that paint in a last minute fix.

(mod98commando)

how many people use the flatline in tournies buddy, or as you would say pal. you get the flatline for range. and you don't need alot of that at tournies. even if someone does play in a tourny, what about when you wanna go play with your friends. medium isn't bad but not good. what about the large bore pal.

7th

(shooky)

O...No way the had jerseys. o now there would have killed you. yeah.. ok, i have seen a group of little kids get a good spot and take out many of those people when the kids just had like 98 and a couple stingrays. just cause they look good doesn't meen anything but that the have money. if you had the money you would buy gear too, but it wouldn't meen your oliver lang.

(mod98commando)

how in the world did you get that. wiht people like that you just have to shoot straight up in the air and they duck. and who said they where at a range. and he said instead of being righ in front of them he was a huge five feet back, thats anought to make a huge difference at close range. i can hol people down at ranges with my teardrop. i have shot alot of barrels threw my gun.

8th

(shooky)

look at my new 1st response.

(mod98commando)

like you said once in a blue moon you hit someone like that. i have done it with a $40 teardrop.

9th

(shooky)

i missed typed it should be would'nt have i just got caught up in typing fast.

(mod98commando)

jsut what i stated to shooky

i just think htat there not as good as what every body makes them sound. its just that the don't want to go around and say the just bought a piece of crap barrel.

98c
x chamber
revi 12vlt w/x

bko
halo tsa backman
shocktech drop

soon to get
e orracle
crossfire tank
boomstic
kaner kit
egg 2 w/z board
98sniper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 4:54pm
wow that was long, i don't mean to piss any body off.
98c
x chamber
revi 12vlt w/x

bko
halo tsa backman
shocktech drop

soon to get
e orracle
crossfire tank
boomstic
kaner kit
egg 2 w/z board
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 10:48pm

...like you said almost but isn't. the reason people buy the flatline is for the range, well why have range when its not accurate. yes i will not say that they don't shoot flatter. but some one said on here, don't remeber who, that they like it because it shoots flat for a long range in the brush. if its that brushy whats the chances you hit him if it is accurate, which its not. if its brushy move up get close you snipers. joking about the sniper thing. on can go on about the range and stuff all day.

That's just the thing, it has enough accuracy that you can hit people with ease just like any other good barrel only you can make the longer shots more easily because you can reach without lobbing the shots. It's good to have a barrel that can give you flat trajectory for long range because sometimes low-hanging branches don't allow you to lob your shots. Remember, you're talking to a bunch of woodsballers most likely and in the woods you don't have an open sky. At the fields I play at, it's very common to have trees preventing you from lobbing shots out there and I know that from experience. With the flatline, I can easily shoot right under them and not worry about the ball hitting the ground at the target's feet. And I do get shots on target, that's why I can keep people pinned from outside their range. I can hit people through the brush if I have a firing lane. With a normal barrel I have to worry about the ball dropping too low and hitting a branch but with the flatline it will fly straight through the path until it reaches the target. Obviously you can't do that at like 300 feet but around 100 feet it's possible and your chances get better as you get closer. That may not sound that great but with a normal barrel your chances are slim even at 50 feet in this situation.

...the 98 has quick threads for a reason, so u can take the barrel off with only three maybe four turns. take the breech off and wacth paint fall all over the places because you ion a hurry. then make sure you turn your revi off so the enemy doesn't here the noise so you don't blow your cover. NO, its not a pain to take the breech off compared to unthreading your barrel on squeeging it out.LOL and like you said its a pain with the a5. you have to take every thing off.

If you know what you're doing, you can get your 98 squeegeed and ready to go in no time without a problem. I don't have the 98 flatline but I have a pro team barrel kit that can't be removed without tools so I go through the breech and I don't have trouble at all. All you do is shut off the hopper, tilt the gun to the right to allow the paint to roll into the hopper, release the elbow, tilt the gun back up (without removing the elbow), pull the squeegee through until the barrel is clean, hold the elbow, roll the gun to the right until the elbow is on again, and then you hold the gun upright and flip on the hopper. Sounds like a lot of steps but if you try it, you can do this very quickly and it works well. Of course just unscrewing a 98 barrel is easier but doing it this way isn't horrible, just takes an extra 5-10 seconds.

...what ever you want to call. but like you said you like to be on the front line, boomstick, why won't a boomstick be good. more accurate in every way. why get the flatline if your not taking long shots. i believe in flanking, but take some one with you and tear threw the back. don't just sit bak there and take some pop shots. then you would have help and wouldn't try to argue about being outnumbered so you have to sit back and take long inaccurate shots, as said by shooky, the longer its out there the less accurate.

It's not that I like to be on the front lines but I just end up there all the time. People sometimes are reluctant to be aggressive and they just sit and trade paint until somebody decides to lead them forward. If I see nobody else taking the lead, I yell for them to move up and I go. Usually people will follow if they see me make it. I get them moving up and then I take a look at the situation. If it looks like we can't take them head on then I take a few people and disappear out to the flank while the rest of the team holds them off. Then we get ourselves behind the enemy and we move back in on them. We make sure they don't know about us until we fire and I tend to like hit and run tactics for this. I find a good firing lane from a place with good cover and I take well aimed shots once every 5 seconds or so. Since they're distracted with the fight in front of them, they usually don't notice until a shot hits them and by then it's too late. I'm usually at the edge of their range when I do this so the chances of them hitting me are slim because they can barely reach me and I still have enough accuracy to hit them. It works very good actually even though I'm sure I'll get criticized by people for this tactic.

...yes i can blame it. alot of barrels will self clean. it just gets balled up in the barrel and doesn't put the right spin on the ball. when this happens you can shoot around trees. if your aiming to hit them

Yeah, ok. The J&J ceramic is supposed to self-clean and mine doesn't. I got one for my SL-68II and a ball broke when I was target shooting one day. I tried shooting it clean and after a good 10 shots I was still getting poor accuracy, it didn't clean at all. I don't think it was small bore paint so I doubt the paint was too small to push the paint out of the barrel. Nobody I know will keep shooting after a break and be happy with their accuracy. The only reason I shoot through breaks on the flatline is because I need to make sure the enemy is pinned while squeegee since I'll have the cyclone off and I can't act quick if they move and get an angle on me. Accuracy loss is no more on the flatline than with any other barrel after a break. In fact, I think the ceramic handled a break the worst to be honest (in comparison to my bigshot and my flatline).

...after it takes you minutes to get that off. when with a normal barrel you would just take it off rfast and clean it.

It doesn't take minutes to get it off actually. You would think that it takes forever and it does take a while the first time but I think, after you get used to it, you can do it very quickly and it isn't such an issue. I first did it on the beach at d-day this year and it only took about 5 seconds to get the cyclone off. The problem I had was with the stupid little hose. For some reason I couldn't get the hose to connect so it took forever but I think I may just find a longer hose and leave it connected when I do this. In the meantime I'll probably just get used to doing it and it won't be a problem anymore. Other than that little problem it didn't take very long at all and I'm sure that if I got the hose on the first time then it would have actually been very quick. I just need time to get used to it and I'll be able to do it very fast.

...how many people use the flatline in tournies buddy, or as you would say pal. you get the flatline for range. and you don't need alot of that at tournies. even if someone does play in a tourny, what about when you wanna go play with your friends. medium isn't bad but not good. what about the large bore pal.

I think I said before that a tourny player is better off with a normal barrel like the bigshot since range isn't needed, maybe that was a different post. Anyway, I agree that the flatline isn't the best speedball barrel. The reason is that it's main features (range and flat trajectory) can't be taken advantage of at such short ranges. The accuracy is good enough but for about $120 it's not worth it since you can get a bigshot for half that and it has a little more accuracy. However, in the woods, you can make use of the long range and flat trajectory and then you have a reason to pay an extra $60 for it. You'll have accuracy close to that of the bigshot but a LOT more range and your shots will not drop until they reach almost maximum range. That makes it much easier to take people out at longer ranges in the woods. By longer ranges I mean just outside of normal range and a little farther. That would be the flatline's effective range, not the max. When you shoot the same distance as a flatline by lobbing it, you're out of your effective range and just pushing your maximum range.

how in the world did you get that. wiht people like that you just have to shoot straight up in the air and they duck. and who said they where at a range. and he said instead of being righ in front of them he was a huge five feet back, thats anought to make a huge difference at close range. i can hol people down at ranges with my teardrop. i have shot alot of barrels threw my gun.

There's a difference between just holding people back and holding them back with a chance of eliminating them. Any gun can make the enemy stay put at a distance if the paint is able to break on or around the bunker but that doesn't mean the shooter can actually hit the person if they were trying. You can reach but your accuracy isn't going to be too great at that range. With the flatline it is much more likely for you to hit the person at that distance because you just aim straight at them instead of aiming a few inches above them. The shots will get there faster because of the flat trajectory and probably at a higher velocity too (since they fly straight instead of in an arc).

...like you said once in a blue moon you hit someone like that. i have done it with a $40 teardrop.

I'm talking about the very long shots with the flatline, not long shots with a normal barrel. The shots I was talking about are at the edge of the flatline's maximum range which is beyond hope for a normal barrel. There are some shots you can land by lobbing the paint like you said, I'm not denying that. Heck, I've done it before. What I'm saying is that the shots you wouldn't even bother attempting with a normal barrel are sometimes possible to make or are at least worth attempting with the flatline. At west point I got a headshot from probably 200-250 feet away. It took about 10-15 shots but the guy shot back a lot more than that and didn't even come close to hitting me, they just bounced at my feet, literally. I may have even hit him sooner if he wasn't being blocked by thorns. That is a perfect example of why I prefer the flatline.

...i just think htat there not as good as what every body makes them sound. its just that the don't want to go around and say the just bought a piece of crap barrel.

I'll admit that some people exaggerate when they comment on their flatlines but that doesn't mean that the barrel is crap. I honestly had no intention of buying the flatline before d-day 2003 (not including when I was a newbie). I had read up about it and it sounded good but my friend got it for the 98 and I wasn't impressed. He also had a lot of problems getting the thing adjusted and he hated it so I stayed away from it. I heard a lot of negative stuff about it here too so I just forgot about it. Then I went to D-day about a year later and skirmish has tons of fields with trees that hang low which made lobbing shots nearly impossible. Because of that my range was ridiculously short and every time I came across a guy with an A5 flatine I made sure to stay nearby because they could do damage from much farther away, it was a huge advantage. I liked what I saw and the owners I talked to there liked them so I started to change my mind about it. Then I started seeing a lot of stuff about the flatline on the forum and there were a lot more people supporting it this time, including some of the more experienced players who were against the 98 flatline. I had always trusted them in the past so I trusted them again and I don't regret getting my flatline at all. In fact, it's now the only barrel I use on the A5 and I usually use my A5 before any of my other guns mainly because it has the flatline. Maybe you're right that some people don't like the barrel but are too embarrassed to admit it but trust me, I'm not one of them.

Also, you're more than welcome to dislike the flatline. The only reason I'm arguing this is because you're saying that it's a bad product which, in my opinion, is totally wrong. People may be deciding whether or not to buy it based on what they read here and I think there's too much bad information and rumors going around about it. It's really not a bad barrel.

Visirale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visirale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2004 at 11:43pm
I've had my flatline for a month.. I'm definately not liking it. Something's wrong- or at least I hope so. I went out with about 50 balls in my backyard today and chopped about 7 of them. Not to mention the feed release is stuck, so I can't clean it out either, without completely taking the barrel out, which requires me to fetch allen wrenches...

The best thing about the barrel so far has been the entertainment provided by watching the erratic directions of the balls going through the dirty barrel.

So at the moment, I have a friend who wants to buy the barrel, and I am considering a normal barrel...

Any ideas on what could be wrong with my barrel?
We are the fossils,
The relics of our time,
We mutilate the meanings,
So they're easy to deny...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic